Media Advisory - Better communication of anti-corruption bodies with the public and the media
On May14th 2019 in Hotel Europa, Vladislava Skarića 5 in Sarajevo, starting at 9:30h, the EU funded Project”Support to implementing anticorruption strategies in BiH” (Institucionalna podrška antikorupciji – IPAK) will organize an Expert Round Table "Better communication of anti-corruption bodies with public and media".
Improvement of communication of anti-corruption bodies with the public and the media is one of the key objectives of the IPAK project. Citizens need to be encouraged to confront corruption. In order to do so, they need to see that there are anti-corruption bodies which will support them, and which are achieving results in preventing corruption. Therefore, anticorruption bodies need to make themselves more visible by communicating regularly about pressing anti-corruption issues. As far as communication with the public and media is concerned, it has to be improved and become a motivation factor for the citizens to stand up against corruption and report it to anti-corruption bodies and other competent institutions like police and prosecutors offices.
The IPAK project prepared a draft Model of communication strategy for all anti-corruption bodies in BiH which will be presented and discussed at the expert round table. In the design process of the draft Model strategy the IPAK project team closely examined the presence of ACBs and corruption topics, especially those related to prevention,in the media. The expert round table will, however, be opportunity to hear directly from the media representatives, what they expect from ACBs, and how does the draft Model strategy suits these expectations.
We expect to gather heads of the ACBs(as personsthat most often represent the respective institution towards the public), heads of ACBs PR units or PR persons (if they exist) or heads of PR units or PR persons from relevant ministries or governments which support ACBs communication with the public and media. Also, media representatives who work on corruption-related topics, and representatives of NGOs dealing with corruption will be present at the expert round table.
At the expert round table, the following issues will be discussed:
- Corruption and anti-corruption in the public discourse in BiH – how to sensitize citizens?
- Ways to make prevention of corruption a more prominent topic in the media
- Experience-exchange concerning targeted communication between ACBs, media and CSOs
- Media and CSOs expectations towards ACBs' communication
- Review of the draft Model communication strategy for ACBs
Based on the discussions at the expert round table, the IPAK Team will prepare the final version of the Model communication strategy.
Media are invited to attend the Press Conference that will be organized before the start of the Expert Round Table, to take the statements from the participants after the Press conference, and to cover the Expert Round Table.
Agenda of the Conference
List of invited participants at the Conference
May 14th 2019 Tuesday
Until 9:30h Arrival, registration and accommodation of the participants
9:30 – 9:45 Press conference
Zoran Jachev, IPAK project team leader
Zlatko Minic, IPAK project expert
09:45 – 10:00 Statements for the media
10:00 – 10:45 Presentation of the draft Model communication strategy
10:50 – 11:35 Discussion about the draft Model communication strategy
11:35 – 11:45 Coffee break
11:45 – 12:30 Media and CSOs expectations towards ACBs' communication
12:30 – 13:00 Conclusions and recommendations
List of participants invited for the Expert Round table
- Agency for the Prevention of Corruption and Coordination of the Fight against Corruption
- Anti-Corruption Team of the Government of Federation of BiH
- Commission for Implementation ofthe Strategy for Fight against Corruption of Republika Srpska
- Commission on prevention of corruption and coordination of activities in the fight against corruption of Brčko District BiH
- Office for the fight against corruption and management of quality of Canton of Sarajevo
- Working body of the Government of Una-Sana Canton for the Prevention of Corruption
- Team for Monitoring the Anti-Corruption Strategy and Action Plan of the Posavina Canton
- Corruption Prevention Team of the Tuzla Canton
- Anti-Corruption Team of the Central Bosnia Canton
- Anti-Corruption Team of Zenica-Doboj Canton
- Corruption Prevention Team in Canton 10
- Anti-Corruption Team in Bosnian - Podrinje Canton
- Anti-corruption Commission of the West Herzegovina Canton
- Anti-corruption Team of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Media representatives and journalists associations
NGOs active in the scope of prevention and fight against corruption:
- Transparency International BiH
- Centre for Investigative Journalism